Re: Debian not included in Infomagic's June LDR (plus a little advocacy)

David Teague wrote:

> Several have written as WCurry has that
>
> > Infomagic should put Debian back on their CDs, but its useless to put
> > so little care into the quality of the product.  I guess they figured
> > Debian users aren't real customers.  I *used* to be. Not anymore.
> > Hope someone from Infomagic reads this thread, but they're probably
> > too busy on the Red Hat newsgroups.
>
> I sent Infomagic email advocating the reintroduction of Debian. I
> compared Debian in terms of usability, technical quality, and type
> and amount of advertising vs market penetration to Red Hat. Debian
> wins hands-down on every issue except for Newbie installs on
> standard hardware.

<cut> <snip>

Actually, I'm not so sure that your last statement is correct. I just finished
of the loading process were in fact easier,  when the loading was completed I had a
system that was harder to use than Debian. If this was the system that I started
learning Linux on, I would have progressed much slower. Debian is better, period.

Great advocacy email, David. I'm afraid I wasn't quite as polite as you. I sent the
following short email to the CEO. I would have totally ignored them, but that could
be damaging to Debian. As new users cross over from the wonderful world of Windoze
they'll go to sites like Infomagic to decide which distribution to try. (I chose
Debian because of the GNU philosophy - luckily it's also a great distribution.)  Once
they choose a distro, they'll probably stick to it.

Judging by the traffic on the list, Debian users are some of the best "network"
people on the web. The problem is that the wave of new users dumping windoze will be
"stand-alone" users, and many of them may be in positions that will influence which
distribution of linux a company will try. We should do all we can to promote Debian.
If we ignore slights like this, we'll be relegating Debian to a minor role in the
growth of Linux/Unixes.

John Carline

Good Morning,

After glancing through your site, I noticed the glaring absence of  Debian Linux. Was
that an oversight on your part, or an
intentional insult to those of us who use Debian?

John Carline