Re: New Win Convert--needs some help :)

I'm a relative newbie, but here's what I know

On Sun, Jun 13, 1999 at 06:30:01PM -0700, Jeremy W. wrote:

> 1: How easy is it to install, and where can I find complete installation
> instructions?

Expect afew iterations before you get everything they way you want it, you shouldn't have any MAJOR problems.  If your getting debian on CD there should be an install file in plain text format.  If you're down loading check www.debian.org for the installation instructions.  When all else fails there's this list.

> 2: Is KDE available for the Debian distribution? I've seen it, and it looks
> like a very smooth transition from a Win32 environment.

I don't use it, but I think so.  Any linux program will work with the Debian distribution working with *.tar.gz is just not quite as convienient as *.deb so it isn't much of an issue.

> 3: Is there an included boot manager (gotta have win for my games :-)?

Yes it's called lilo (also syslinux is available to boot from whithin dos/win)

> 4: Is this (below) hardware supported, or where can I find a list that will
> tell me if it is?

PIII: no problem

TNT2: Make sure you get XFree86 3.3.3 not 3.3.1 the newer version is in the "potato" distribution (current stable Debian 2.1 is "Slink" unstable is "Potato")
or you can get the tar balls from www.xfree86.org

Intelimouse: no problem

Other Hardware: I don't know check the Hardware HOWTO. Lots of linux documentation is available at the Linux Documentation Project site http://metalab.unc.edu/LDP/

Enjoy & Good Luck,