Re: Can't start Xserver as user

On Thu, Jun 10, 1999 at 10:26:26AM -0500, Lance Hoffmeyer wrote:
> In /etc/X11/Xserver
>
> /usr/bin/X11/XF86_SVGA
> Anybody

There are no comments below it?  Hmm.  Well, the above should work in any
case, as long as you have the xserver-svga package installed.

> I don't think I have Xwrapper installed.  I searched for it but didn't find it.

Debian doesn't use the XFree86 Xwrapper, we use our own.

> also, I found /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/xserverrc which has a link to
> /etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc which does not exist

That is normal and okay, if a bit weird (we don't normally ship dangling
symlinks).

> can I create this file /etc/X11/xinit/sserverrc?  If so what do I need to
> put in it.  I am running XF86_SVGA or at least that is what is in my
> /etc/X11/Xserver file.

You don't need to create it.

Ensure that the Debian X server wrapper (/usr/bin/X11/X) is actually
installed setuid root.  An ls -l should looks something like this:

-rwsr-xr-x   1 root     root         5636 Jun  5 05:39 /usr/bin/X11/X

--
G. Branden Robinson              |    I am sorry, but what you have mistaken
Debian GNU/Linux                 |    for malicious intent is nothing more