Re: Can't start Xserver as user

> On Wed, Jun 09, 1999 at 07:26:34PM -0500, Lance Hoffmeyer wrote:
> > Just recently as lost be ability to start an Xwindow as a user.
> >
> > Fatal server error:
> > xf86OpenConsole: server must be running with root permissions.  You should be using
> > Xwrapper to start the server or xdm.  We strongly advise against making the server
> > SUID root!
>
> Check the contents of /etc/X11/Xserver.  The file is internally documented.

In /etc/X11/Xserver

/usr/bin/X11/XF86_SVGA
Anybody

I did find this little diddy though:

The xinit command (which startx runs) provided with XFree86 3.3.2 and later has been modified to look for an X server
   called ``Xwrapper'' instead of ``X''. If you don't have Xwrapper installed, you will get an error message from
   xinit/startx when it tries to start the non-set-uid X server without using the wrapper. The same thing will happen if you
   do have Xwrapper installed but you have an xserverrc file (usually $HOME/.xserverrc, but it can be any file pointed to by
   your XSERVERRC environment variable) that references ``X'' instead of ``Xwrapper''. To fix that, edit your xserverrc file
   and replace ``X'' with ``Xwrapper''. If instead of X you have some other X server name (eg, XF86_SVGA) in your xserverrc
   file, you will need to create a symbolic link from it to /usr/X11R6/bin/X and replace it with ``Xwrapper'' in your
   xserverrc file.

I don't think I have Xwrapper installed.  I searched for it but didn't find it.

also, I found /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/xserverrc which has a link to /etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc which does not exist

can I create this file /etc/X11/xinit/sserverrc?  If so what do I need to put in it.  I am running XF86_SVGA or at least
that is what is in my /etc/X11/Xserver file.

Lance