Can start Xserver as user

Just recently as lost be ability to start an Xwindow as a user.

Fatal server error:
xf86OpenConsole: server must be running with root permissions.  You should be using
Xwrapper to start the server or xdm.  We strongly advise against making the server
SUID root!

X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown)

I also recently lost be ability to start a PPP connection as a user using 'pon'.  My group is set
as 'DIP' so it must be something else.  I can still connect as root, though.  I wonder if these events are

Can't open options file /etc/ppp/peers/provider: Permission denied