Re: Still Trying [WAS: Re: Another Newbie Q : Sound Configuration]

Jason Willoughby wrote:

> '-a'?  The man page doesn't mention what that option does except in the
> context of the '-t' option.  Try doing an 'lsmod' to make sure the modules

I was just following the suggestions for testing in the
SoundBlaster-HOWTO. I don't know what it does either :)

lsmod gives no sound stuff. I ran modprobe sb, and then lsmod gave me:

Module                  Size  Used by
uart401                 5904   0
sound                  56312   0  [uart401]
soundlow                 224   0  [sound]
soundcore               2148   3  [sound]

also, /proc/devices now has a sound entry, but /dev/sndstat has no sound
stuff in it.

> If nothing's being loaded, do a 'modprobe sb'.  If that doesn't do
> anything, an error message will probably have been printed to
> /var/log/syslog.

My syslog looks like:

Jun 11 10:47:53 smaug kernel: Soundblaster audio driver Copyright (C) by
Hannu S
avolainen 1993-1996
Jun 11 10:47:53 smaug kernel: sb_card: I/O, IRQ, and DMA are mandatory
Jun 11 10:52:37 smaug modprobe: can't locate module sound-slot-0
Jun 11 10:52:37 smaug modprobe: can't locate module sound-service-0-3
Jun 11 10:53:20 smaug modprobe: can't locate module sound-slot-0
Jun 11 10:53:20 smaug modprobe: can't locate module sound-service-0-3

I don't remember what the first line is in reference to, but the lst two
pairs are from running modprobe sound.

Looking at the first line, I'm wondering if my isapnp stuff is okay.

from dmesg I got:

Soundblaster audio driver Copyright (C) by Hannu Savolainen 1993-1996
sb_card: I/O, IRQ, and DMA are mandatory

at the end of my boot messages. The rest is lopped off. For some reason
dmesg only gives me part of the message.

Does Windows report the IRQ, DMA and I/O settings differenty than what
Linux might?

Thanks for your help.

Man if I ever get sound working, I'm gonna write a little howto that
walks people like through the steps :)

Thanks again

--
                                         __   _