Re: Still Trying [WAS: Re: Another Newbie Q : Sound Configuration]

Mark Wagnon wrote:

[about sound problems]

> Looking at the first line, I'm wondering if my isapnp stuff is okay.

to exclude this possibility i would initialize the card under dos.

a few days ago, i switched to kernel 2.2.9. yesterday i felt something
was missing - i wanted back my sound.
first attempt was no luck, so i decided to try brute force.
i choosed _all_ soundmodules during ´make menuconfig´ - wouldn´t enlarge
the kernel size - and disabled the pnp-stuff.
i didn´t use isapnp, but initialized my soundcard in dos.

then, looking at the sound related files in the kernel - especially in
documentation/sound - i played with modprobe, insmod, lsmod and rmmod on
the drivers, which could eventually be usefull.
well, now i have back wss, mpu and the other stuff. today, i´ll put the
required entrys in conf.modules.

if you go the same way, then i have no doubt that you also will get back
your sound. it costs time, but i´ve learned much.

finally, _if_ the sound is working, _then_ i would play with pnpdump and
isapnp.

> Man if I ever get sound working, I'm gonna write a little howto that
> walks people like through the steps :)

well, there are so many soundcards, that i fear, your howto will become
a book ;-)

hafi