Re: SVGAlib and Riva TNT card? - solved

On Thu, 10 Jun 1999, Kenneth Scharf wrote:

> If I force NV3 (Riva) mode, I get a >blank screen.
> It still responds to keypresses and I can telnet in, but >until I
> >CNTRL-ALT-DEL the screen is hosed.
>
> This sounds familiar, the same thing happens to me when I tried to run
> svga-doom with my matrx millenium (the original) 8M pci.  Also if I
> have a login in a regular terminal screen and an X display the X
> display will sometimes blink off and on for no reason.

 I found out that editing /etc/vga/libvga.config, setting "chipset VESA"
and uncommenting the "VesaText" option lets me use SVGAlib programs, and
still have a usable text mode when I exit them.

 Unfortunately, this doesn't completely solve my GLQuake-on-TNT problem.
Now squake works just fine, but glquake insists on having the glide
library.

 My understanding was that glquake spoke to OpenGL (i.e. Mesa), and Mesa
spoke to the glide library. If that's the case, I should be able to fake
some kind of dummy glide library (not even a wrapper) and get things
working. Does anyone know how that works?

 Sincerely,

 Ray Ingles         (248) 377-7735          ray.ingles@fanucrobotics.com

 "Improvements succeeded each other so rapidly, that machines which had
    never been finished were abandoned in the hands of their makers,
       because new improvements had superceded their utility."

       Charles Babbage 'On the Economy of Manufactures' 1832