Re: More Qs about Net Connection (was "Connecting to the Net")

> I am now seemingly making connection with my ISP. That is, my modem dials
> and seems to get through. However, when I run Mozilla, it seems to hang. If
> I try invoking it again, I get an error message along the lines that a
> session of Mozilla is already open. However, if I run Mozilla while I am
> off-line, I dont have a problem. It opens up to a default HTML page no
> questions asked. I can then go and look at other HTML pages as well.
>
> Also, if I run Lynx while I am on-line, it tries to connect to the page that
> I have designated as my home directory for Internet Explorer 5 in Win95. I
> then get a message saying "Unable to connect to host", and Lynx drops out.
> The page in question is the Australian AltaVista mirror site at
> http://www.altavista.yellowpages.com.au, which is normally a fast and
> reliable site.

Try pinging a site, like "ping www.altavista.com". If you get replies,
that indicates that all is (probably) well on your set up; if you get
timeouts, that could be due to any number of problems. My first guess is
that your dns settings are not set up properly. Perhaps you transposed a
number? Like 123.456.789.123 instead of 123.4>6<5.789.123?