Re: BE MORE SIMPLE!!!!

On Thu, 10 Jun 1999, Urban Gabor wrote:

> The moral from the original rather rash message can serve very good the
> whole Linux/Debian community. It is indeed very hard to convince people to
> use Linux when the starting informaiton is filled with jargon.

I agree quite completely.

> The users
> coming from the M$ world are definitly used to be lazy in brains. I meen
> no disrespect, but M$ makes you forget thinking. (Cf the subscription! :-)

I don't aree with this. M$ is much easier to install and to get started.
But it doesn't make you forget thinking. It just makes you to think
about other things, besides engineering design of programs. Like to do
some useful work with a computer.

There are some examples of much much simpler installations and
installation manuals than the Debian one existing in linux community, too.
For example rh manual. Compare that with the suse manual! There is a big
difference.

> I would suggest an other install description with step-by-step texts of
> what to do. And redesinging Debian web site can help a lot.

This is exactly the point of the difference between suse and rh. Rh manual
is telling what to do, suse manual telling what is behind doing. Often
suse manual is missing altogether the advice, what to do even if it
explains many many different possibilities, which can go wrong.

I' sorry to write about other distributions on this list, but this kind of
comparision makes the original comment understandable.

Debian installation manual is not at all the worst one. It is quite good
actually. But it definetely isn't easy to find on the website instructions
how to get started... It might help to write some specific step by step
guide for the people, who aren't so interested in technical design?

- hv