How/where can I see the messages from booting

Hi all,

as you can see I'm new in that media because that's my second try to post a
question, because I didn't see my first mail, sent to
debian-user-request@lists.debian.org.
Hopefully now that's the right way.

I startet with debian installed from a CD included in the german magazin CHIP
last year.
Having troubles in configuring an xserver on my debian linux system I'm faced
the following:
when booting linux there are lots auf messages scrolling away, so I can't read.
I guess they are stored in a logfile anywhere in the system for later viewing.
But where?
Could anybody give advice?

Thank's for hints
Wolfgang