Re: Connecting to the Net

Quoting Brad (lists@anomie.dhs.org):
> On Wed, 9 Jun 1999, Kent West wrote:
>
> > /dev/modem is a "generic" term for where your modem actually is. You
> > can solve this in one of two ways: 1) make a symlink named /dev/modem
> > that points to your actual modem (not recommended, because the system
> > then can't place a lock on the modem to prevent two people/processes
> > from trying to use it at the same time)
>
> According to Documentation/devices.txt in the kernel source, an
> application is supposed to follow the symlink and lock the actual device
> (as well as the symlink). In this way, it doesn't cause the problem you
> predict. If you find a package that doesn't do this, file a bug report
> since it's quite a serious bug.
>
> For the actual quote, either load the mentioned file and search for
> "symlink" or email me privately and i'll send it to you.

While this may now be true, and packages in potato obviously need to
be made conforming, it's worth bearing in mind that slink/stable is
still at 2.0.36, and both this and 2.2.x kernel documentation include:

--8<--------

The following links may be established locally to conform to the
configuration of the system.  This is merely a tabulation of existing
practice, and does not constitute a recommendation.  However, if they
exist, they should have the following uses.

[mouse, tape, cdrom, cdwriter and scanner links deleted]
/dev/modem      modem port      symbolic        Current dialout device
[root and swap links deleted]

/dev/modem should not be used for a modem which supports dialin as
well as dialout, as it tends to cause lock file problems.  If it
exists, /dev/modem should point to the appropriate dialout (alternate)
device.

So the best advice for debian-user is probably /not/ to make a
/dev/modem link.

Cheers,