Re: Connecting to the Net

Wayne Topa wrote:

>         Subject: Connecting to the Net
>         Date: Wed, Jun 09, 1999 at 10:42:03PM +1000

> Quoting Andrew J Fortune(mathman99@geocities.com):
> >
> > This is another newbie question.....
> >
> > I am trying to connect to the Net. I have run PPPConfig, hopefully
> > successfully, and have then tried to run PON. I got the following message :
> >
> > /usr/sbin/pppd: In file /etc/ppp/peers/provider: unrecognized option
> > '/dev/modem'
> >
> > Obviously there is no entry for my modem, but how do I fix it ?
> >
> > Thanks for any help.
> >
> > regards,
> > Andrew J Fortune
> >

> When pppconfig ashed for a provider, you put in your isp name, right?
> Then try this   pon your_isp_name   Let us know if that fixes it.
>
> --
> You can measure a programmer's perspective by noting his attitude on
> the continuing viability of FORTRAN.
>                 -- Alan Perlis

/dev/modem is a "generic" term for where your modem actually is. You can solve this
in one of two ways: 1) make a symlink named /dev/modem that points to your actual
modem (not recommended, because the system then can't place a lock on the modem to
prevent two people/processes from trying to use it at the same time), and
2) modifying the provider file to point to the modem. #2 is the better route; simply
change the "/dev/modem" to /dev/ttyS[0-3]", where [0-3] is the number of the "com
port" your modem is on (the Windows Com port number minus one).

You may run into similar problems with a serial mouse; some config files may point to
/dev/mouse when it should point to /dev/ttyS[0-3].