Re: Unwanted Graphical Login and other woes...

Brian Servis wrote:

> *- On  9 Jun, Andrew J Fortune wrote about "Unwanted Graphical Login and other woes..."
> >
> > I don't know what I have done, but Linux (using slink) is now booting up to
> > a graphical login. This is not what I want at the moment, and I was
> > wondering if anyone knew what the problem might be ? .... this is not
> > normally a problem, but I am trying to resolve other problems associated
> > with startx and file resolution....and this is not allowing me to test some
> > things.
> >

> Sounds like xdm is installed and thus starting up as the system boots.
> Probably the easist thing to do is remove the xdm package.  Use
> dselect, apt or dpkg.
>
> As root issue the command:
>
> dpkg --remove xdm
>
> If you don't wan't remove it but just disable it, as root issue the
> command:
>
> update-rc.d -f xdm remove
>
> This will remove the xdm links in /etc/rc[2-5].d that point to the
> /etc/init.d/xdm script. Then at a later date when you want xdm to start
> back up, issue:
>
> update-rc.d xdm defaults 99 01
>
> > I have heard that in order to have a text console at login, you have to set
> > the initdefault action to 3 in the file /etc/inittab. However, it is already
> > set to 3, but Linux still is presenting me with the graphical login !
>
> I think this pertains to RedHat.  Debian by default does not have a
> non-X run-level.  I think a proposal has been submitted to have this
> changed though.  If you want to you can just manually delete the S99xdm
> symlink from /etc/rc2.d and have inittab us run-level 2 as the default.
>
> --
> Brian

Or it could be login.app/wdm/kdm   -   dpkg --remove login.app wdm kdm

frankie

--
Confession is good for the soul only in the sense that a tweed coat is good
for dandruff.

        --Peter de Vries

http://www.skunkpussy.freeserve.co.uk - Drum'n'Bass music, samples and links.

ICQ://25576761