Re: [comp.os.linux.misc] I am not impressed with Debian so far.

> From: REMOVETHISbsamuels@deskmail.com (Barry Samuels)
> Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
> Subject: I am not impressed with Debian so far.
[...]
> I have been using SuSE since v5.2 ( now on 6.0 ) and, having heard
> about apt-get, I thought that I would give Debian a try.

[...]
> After finishing the install, configuring X and trying the system
> briefly to make sure it worked, I decided to recompile the kernel.
> Everything here went without a hitch until I rebooted the machine.  It
> seemed from some error messages during boot that some support
> functions which I had included in the kernel were also being loaded as
> modules.
>
> Before anyone starts suggesting what I didn't do, I did:
>
> make dep
> make clean
> make zImage
> make modules
> make modules_install
> copy resultant image to /boot/vmlinuz
> copy System.map to /boot
> run lilo
>
> I then recompiled again but this time modularising those support
> functions which caused error messages.  On reboot this time everything
> was fine.
>
> So why should it be necessary to have some support functions as
> modules rather than included in the kernel?  I went through the same
> process with SuSE without any of these problems.

I guess he didn't remove /lib/modules/2.his.kernel.version.

You will be reminded to do this when using make-kpkg.

Maybe the README should state that there is "kernel-package" and
how to use it.

Jens

P.S.: Please vote against Spam! At
             http://www.politik-digital.de/spam/
(Sorry Europeans only)
---
Jens.Ritter@weh.rwth-aachen.de   grimaldi@debian.org
Key ID: 2048/E451C639 Jens Ritter
Key fingerprint: 5F 3D 43 1E 24 1E CC 48  1E 05 93 3A A7 10 73 37