Re: fd0 deviation question

Jonathan Lupa <jjlupa@jamdata.net> writes:

> Hello,
>
> 	Quick question on floppy deviation.  Everytime that I use superformat
> to format a floppy, it does a little warmup test and tells me to set a
> deviation flag in /etc/driveprm.  Well, before I did that I tried again and
> superformat gave me back a different number for the deviation.
> 	The question: When the tested deviation varies with every run, is it
> time to get a new floppy drive?

superformat tries to find an interleave factor so that the fd
gives best performance on your system.

So it has to measure some times. As a multiuser, multitasking system
is not very well suited for such a task it is likely there are small
differences in the outcome every time you run it. I guess it even
depends on the load (or the number of interrupts during the measurement).

This is normal.

Jens

P.S.: Please vote against Spam! At
             http://www.politik-digital.de/spam/
(Sorry Europeans only)
---
Jens.Ritter@weh.rwth-aachen.de   grimaldi@debian.org
Key ID: 2048/E451C639 Jens Ritter
Key fingerprint: 5F 3D 43 1E 24 1E CC 48  1E 05 93 3A A7 10 73 37