From: Craig McPherson <craig@laceyonline.com>
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Date: Wednesday, 9 June 1999 13:33
Subject: A default 2.2.x kernel for potato?

I'm currently using slink with the default kernel, and am currently
downloading packages to update to potato, and I was wondering if
there is a default kernel for potato like there's a default 2.0.36 kernel
for slink.  I tried the "linux" kernel from the potato/main/disks
directory, but it seems to be a 2.0.36 kernel identical to the kernel
from the slink disks directory.

If I just upgrade all my base & recommended packages to the new
versions from the unstable/main directory of an FTP mirror, while
still using a 2.0.36 kernel, will the system run, or do some of the
upgraded packages need to run under 2.2.x?

Also, now that I've updated my package list with packages from the
unstable directory, the conflict manager seems to want to remove
the "kbd" package... it conflicts with another console-manager
package, and whenever I try to disable that package, the conflict
manager re-enables it and enables kbd.  Does this new console
manager replace kbd?  I ask because kbd is in the Base section,
and dpkg install generates a polite warning telling me that kbd
shouldn't be removed unless I'm absolutely sure what I'm doing,
which, of course, I'm not.

Thanks for any help.