Re: A default 2.2.x kernel for potato?

On Tue, 8 Jun 1999, Craig McPherson wrote:

> I'm currently using slink with the default kernel, and am currently
> downloading packages to update to potato, and I was wondering if
> there is a default kernel for potato like there's a default 2.0.36 kernel
> for slink.  I tried the "linux" kernel from the potato/main/disks
> directory, but it seems to be a 2.0.36 kernel identical to the kernel
> from the slink disks directory.

i'm not sure if potato has an official kernel yet, since it's still
unstable. It will be 2.2.x though, unless by some miracle 2.4.x comes out
before potato is frozen.

Just install one of the kernel-image-2.2.x packages. i don't know offhand
which the latest is...

> If I just upgrade all my base & recommended packages to the new
> versions from the unstable/main directory of an FTP mirror, while
> still using a 2.0.36 kernel, will the system run, or do some of the
> upgraded packages need to run under 2.2.x?

I believe it'll run, but there will be some features that won't work well.
Best thing is to install a 2.2 kernel.

> Also, now that I've updated my package list with packages from the
> unstable directory, the conflict manager seems to want to remove
> the "kbd" package... it conflicts with another console-manager
> package, and whenever I try to disable that package, the conflict
> manager re-enables it and enables kbd.

It's a bug in the dependancies, but it looks to be fixed as of now.
console-tools-data now has an 'or depends on' kbd (>= 0.99-1). kbd-data
can be removed.