Unwanted Graphical Login and other woes...

I don't know what I have done, but Linux (using slink) is now booting up to
a graphical login. This is not what I want at the moment, and I was
wondering if anyone knew what the problem might be ? .... this is not
normally a problem, but I am trying to resolve other problems associated
with startx and file resolution....and this is not allowing me to test some
things.

I have heard that in order to have a text console at login, you have to set
the initdefault action to 3 in the file /etc/inittab. However, it is already
set to 3, but Linux still is presenting me with the graphical login !

...Also, for some reason, my backspace key is no longer being recognized
when I am in an xterm or emacs session. Methinks the answers lie in the
dreaded xf86config which has been giving me merry hell....talk about
teething problems.

Any help appreciated. Thanks.