Re: Random partitioning questions

On Tuesday, June 08, 1999 at 10:06:33 -0500, Brad wrote:
 > To: Gertjan Klein <gklein@xs4all.nl>
 >
 > On Tue, 8 Jun 1999, Gertjan Klein wrote:
 >
 > Yes, but the kernel needs to be able to access mount in /bin, init in
 > /sbin, the libraries in /lib to run those two, and the config files
 > (init.d/, fstab, etc) /etc, and /dev to find the extra partitions to
 > mount. /root is there for a single-user boot, so root has a home directory
 > even if nothing else can be mounted.
 >
 > The problem with the partition spanning the 1024th cyl, what if installing
 > a new kernel chooses a part of the partition above the limit? Therefore,
 > it seems safest to keep the entire partition under the line.

I can speak from personal experience here.  Just the other day I created
a 2.2.9 on one box that was apparently above the 1024 limit, and, in the
process of "fixing" things, managed to move the previous working kernel
to be above that limit as well, thereby making the system unbootable.

Not fun.

Anyone repartitioning should keep this in mind, before finding out
"the hard way."

--

PGP Public Key available on request:
Type Bits/KeyID    Date       User ID