Re: Random partitioning questions

On Tue, 8 Jun 1999, Gertjan Klein wrote:

> On Tue, 8 Jun 1999 00:03:39 -0500 (CDT), Brad <lists@anomie.dhs.org>
> wrote:
>
> >1. If i understand things correctly, /, /boot, /lib, /bin, /sbin, /dev,
> >   parts of /etc, and maybe /root should be on one partition below the
> >   1024th cyl for hysterical reasons, which do apply in my case. Do i
> >   understand correctly?
>
>   The only thing that needs to be below the 1024th cylinder is the
> kernel (vmlinuz) and LILO's second stage boot loader.  Once the kernel
> is loaded it accesses the harddisk with it's own drivers and doesn't
> care about any 1024 cylinder limit.

Yes, but the kernel needs to be able to access mount in /bin, init in
/sbin, the libraries in /lib to run those two, and the config files
(init.d/, fstab, etc) /etc, and /dev to find the extra partitions to
mount. /root is there for a single-user boot, so root has a home directory
even if nothing else can be mounted.

The problem with the partition spanning the 1024th cyl, what if installing
a new kernel chooses a part of the partition above the limit? Therefore,
it seems safest to keep the entire partition under the line.