Re: 16-bit or 24-bit Color Palette ?

On Tue, 08 Jun 1999, Andrew J Fortune wrote:
> I have just installed Slink on my machine, and have ... almost.... got it
> working the way that i want it to. The only thing that won't work is that it
> is coming up in 256 colors, and I want it to use the 16-bit color palette or
> greater (with 1024 x 768).
>
> I have been running xf86config, and the problem for me is that I have been
> taking uneducated pot-shots in the dark, and I am wondering if there is a
> better way of approaching this problem. I have tried all sorts of (seemingly
> appropriate) combinations of monitor, video card and mode from within
> xf86config, but all to no avail. The areas that I am foggy on are horizontal
> and vertical sync, refresh rates and the "modes" (e.g. the menu which allows
> you to nominate different modes for 8-bit, 16-bit, etc etc), and these were
> the areas that I was guessing on.

I did a lot of messing around when I installed my first Linux system, Red Hat
5.2. Second time around, installing Debian, was better, at least as far as the
video is concerned.
I think "xf86config" is the best program for configuring /etc/XF86Config --
the latter is the configuration file for X server.
xf86config menu structure is very logical, but the part where you are
having trouble, you have to study very carefully how it works. You can
select any mode as the default, including any color depth. If you really
want to narrow it down, you can even eliminate all mode options that
you don't want to use, to be absolutely sure it will display with what you
want.
I think, from memory, that there are some S3 generic card options, that
use the SVGA server. When you have selected your card or chipset
type, some other selections are just accept the default.

Horiz and vert sync rates should be in the manual that came with your
monitor. You normally enter them as a range, e.g., 50-100.
This cheapie 14inch monitor I'm using right now has horiz: 31-69 KHz and
vert: 50-100 Hz. You enter them into xf86config just like that (without
typing the units).

Regards,
Barry Kauler