16-bit or 24-bit Color Palette ?

I have just installed Slink on my machine, and have ... almost.... got it
working the way that i want it to. The only thing that won't work is that it
is coming up in 256 colors, and I want it to use the 16-bit color palette or
greater (with 1024 x 768).

I have been running xf86config, and the problem for me is that I have been
taking uneducated pot-shots in the dark, and I am wondering if there is a
better way of approaching this problem. I have tried all sorts of (seemingly
appropriate) combinations of monitor, video card and mode from within
xf86config, but all to no avail. The areas that I am foggy on are horizontal
and vertical sync, refresh rates and the "modes" (e.g. the menu which allows
you to nominate different modes for 8-bit, 16-bit, etc etc), and these were
the areas that I was guessing on.

I know that I can achieve this, because this is how my Windows 95 desktop is
set up. Also, previously I had Debian v2.0 and RedHat v5.2 installed and I
had no problems there....the only thing was that I don't remember what I
did....

It could be that the solution lies outside of xfconfig altogether ?? In any
event, I would be grateful of any help here (I am a newbie in the world of
Linux....).

(If it helps, I have a 15" monitor, Super VGA 1024x768, with a S3 Trio 32/64
PCI video card. )