RE: I am not impressed with Debian so far.

On Tue, 08 Jun 1999, Brendon Baumgartner wrote:
> I mostly agree with his point about not knowing to put the second CD in
> while installing debian. I missed that also the first try. I didn't
> experience his problem with makeing the symlink, and i'm not sure how
> obvious modconf is to a new user. I don't remeber it being mentioned during
> install, but i could be wrong.
>
> Well, I hope his luck improves. I agree it is dificult for someone to jump
> right into debian even if they have used other distributions. I spent a
> whole day playing with it the fist time I set it up, and still had problems
> for awhile. Actually, i'm still having problems to this day, but I'm use to
> Debian, so i firgure most of them out quickly... well, except for ALSA that
> is =) ...

Ditto from me.
I started with Red Hat. It took me a *few days* to get Debian up and
running. I still haven't got sound going -- I'm amazed that I have to
recompile the kernel just to add sound support. I'm reluctant to do it,
as I keep reading newsgroup and mail list messages from people who
had trouble with recompiling.
Sound support needs to be improved, as Red Hat have done -- I
don't know what they have done, but I just selected my sound card
and that was it.
dselect needs better documentation, and also a nice GUI -- I still
haven't figured out how to drive the Select section.
Multi-CD needs to be streamlined.

having said all that however, I like Debian, much more than my Red
Hat system. I especially like its non-commercial nature.
I reckon it's well worth going through a few hassles.

But again, something happened today -- probably not Debian's
fault. My hard drive suddenly got real busy. I wasn't actually using
the PC, and I presume Linux does some housekeeping when it
gets a chance. Or KDE?
Then I started to use KMail, and suddenly my hard drive made a
terrible sound and stopped, and everything hung, dead. I did a
hard reboot and everything worked as though nothing had happened.
That's a real worry.

Regards,