Re: System beep

On Sun, Jun 06, 1999 at 01:44:47AM +0000, Alisdair McDiarmid wrote:
> Is there any way of intercepting the horrible PC case beep and
> sending a nice sample to /dev/dsp instead? I really hate the
> grunt my case generates on tab completion in bash and so on.

...and if the oplbeep patches someone else mentioned don't work for you,
as a last resort you can make the grunt less obnoxious by using some
escape sequences (man console_codes, or there's a program which does
this for you but I forget it's name).

       ESC [ 10 ; n ]      Set bell frequency in Hz.
       ESC [ 11 ; n ]      Set bell duration in msec.

echo the above in your .profile or put them in /etc/issue or something.
For your xterm, you can use

xset b n1 n2 n3

where n1, n2, and n3 are numbers for volume, pitch, and duration of the
bell.

Relating to tab completion is bash, you can also try putting the
following in your ~/.inputrc:

This one causes the screen to flash instead of beep:
set bell-style visible

This causes bash to show all the available completions instead of
screeching:
set show-all-if-ambiguous on

May your hearing never be dimmed by square waves,
 - Kevin

--
Kevin.Turner@oberlin.edu | OpenPGP encryption welcome here, see X-DSA-Key