Re: System beep

On Sun, 6 Jun 1999, Alisdair McDiarmid wrote:

> Is there any way of intercepting the horrible PC case beep and
> sending a nice sample to /dev/dsp instead? I really hate the
> grunt my case generates on tab completion in bash and so on.

>From the Sound-HOWTO (should be in /usr/doc/HOWTO on your system, unless
you purged the doc-linux-* packages)

  6.29.  Can I use a sound card to replace the system console beep?

  Try the oplbeep program, found at
  <ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/apps/sound/oplbeep-alpha.tar.gz>

  Another variant is the beep program found at
  <ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/kernel/patches/misc/modreq_beep.tgz>

  The modutils package has an example program and kernel patch that
  supports calling an arbitrary external program to generate sounds when
  requested by the kernel.

  Alternatively, with some sound cards you can connect the PC speaker
  output to the sound card so that all sounds come from the sound card
  speakers.