Re: Recovering the original boot sector

On Sun, Jun 06, 1999 at 02:03:40AM +0200, Jean-Yves F. Barbier wrote:
> They're (unfortunately) right, MacroSOB products don't care about other OS;
> making 'fdisk /MBR' will bring you back to the beginning... winbrock only...

This is exactly what you shouldn't install LILO in the MBR. The Debian default
is /dev/hdaN, not /dev/hda, and there's a good reason for it.

You see, if you have LILO in your Linux root's boot sector, to change
whether to boot Linux or Win95 directly, all you have to do is change
the active partition using FDISK on either linux or MS-DOS.

I'm not sure why everybody seems to do this, but every few weeks I find
myself posting the same thing on this list. Is it an old diehard Slackware
habit or something?

Hamish
--
Hamish Moffatt VK3SB (ex-VK3TYD).