Re: XDM problems

On Sat, Jun 05, 1999 at 03:06:52PM -0400, Chris Flipse wrote
> I've got an issue with the *dm programs....
> I had thought it was just an issue with xdm, but this just happened with
> kdm as well...
>
> I can log in through *dm, and everything works fine while I'm working in
> X.  However, occasionally, when I log out, instead of bringing up the
> login app again, I get a series of red and black vertical stripes on my
> monitor, and my machine is hardlocked.  Have to reboot it from the
> hardware, which is a bad thing.
>
> Does anyone have ANY idea about this?

I'm not sure that it's an *dm problem; I occasionally see *exactly* this
(right down to the red-and-black stripes) when swapping vts from X to text
mode.  I'm running xserver-s3v version 3.3.2.3a-11 on a Stealth 3D 2000
card, but my recollection is that I had the same problem with xserver-svga
with different hardware (but, I could be wrong; I hadn't characterized the
problem at that time).  Everything stops: ssh connections are hung, inbound
pings time out, a hard reset is required.  I would have logged a bug report
but I wasn't sure it wasn't hardware, or that it was the XServer.

Let me know if anything comes to light...

John P.
--
huiac@camtech.net.au
john@huiac.apana.org.au