Re: PCI modem

On Thu, 3 Jun 1999, Robert Rati wrote:

> Date: Thu, 03 Jun 1999 10:12:27 -0500 (EST)
> From: Robert Rati <ratirh@cs.purdue.edu>
> To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> Subject: PCI modem
>
> I was just given a PCI modem by a friend of mine and he calims it's a PNP
> modem but not a winmodem.  I hope he's right, but I don't know how to tell
> if it's a winmodem.  Debian sees the modem when I cat /proc/pci and calls
> it a serial interface card (same thing windows calls it until you give it
> drivers) but can't figure out the maker of the device.  It's a Rockwell
> modem and really gerneric so I don't find that too surprising.  My BIOS
> sees the modem and says that the modem is on IRQ 9, which unfortunately is
> also where my sound card is.  Can anyone help me out in getting this modem
> working in Linux?  I had an isa pnp modem before that I got to work, but I
> don't know how to get a pci modem to work.  Can anyone help me out?
> Thanks.

there are several PCI modems usable under linux, i believe.
Find below how to do it

           ***INSTALLATION OF V90 PCI LUCENT VENUS BASED MODEM***

I. After physically installing the modem, log into your "Root" account.

II. To determine resource settings.

Type the following command: cat /proc/pci
An example of the outcome will look like this;

5.        Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0x00000000.

Bus 0, device 17, function 0:
    Communication controller: Unknown vendor Unknown device (rev 0).
        Vendor id=11c1.  Device id=480.
        Medium devsel.   Fast back-to-back capable.  IRQ 11.  Master
Capable.
No bursts.
            Min Gnt=252.Max Lat=14
         Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xe4000000.
         I/O at 0x6400.
         I/O at 0x6800.
         I/O at 0x6c00.

III. Take note of the IRQ, and FIRST I/O address, then type in this
command;

     setserial /dev/modem uart 16550A port 0x6400 irq 11

NOTE: THE IRQ AND PORT MAY VARY, IT IS DEPENDANT UPON THE RESULTS FROM
STEP II

IV. To set Linux to configure the modem upon boot-up.

    There are several options.  One method is going to the /etc/rc.d/
    directory, and using an editing program such as "jed" edit the
    rc.local file, and insert
    setserial /dev/modem uart 16550A port 0x6400 irq 11
    as the last line.

OK