Re: XF86Setup

Von: Rick Macdonald <rickm@home.com>

>> >In the XF86Config file, in Section "Screen", add a "Virtual" parameter
>> >each subsection, and set it to the max res for that subsection.
>
>> I've got a dozen 'Subsection "Display"' entries - under Driver Accel,
>> Driver SVGA, Driver VGA16 and Driver VGA2.  In each case there is one
line:
>> Modes "1024*768"    "800*600"    "640*480"
>> If I split the line or insert  eg 'Virtual 800 600' in the middle, I get
an
>> error message when I 'startx'.  So can you tell me where I put these
lines?

>Actually, I may have misinterpreted your question.

Yes, sorry, perhaps it was not very clear.  There are actually two
questions, as explained later.

> You can only have one
>Virtual for each subsection, which you would set to the maximum res:
>
>    Subsection "Display"
>        Depth       16
>        Modes       "1152x864-75c"
>                    "1024x768-101"
>                    "800x600-81"
>                    "640x480-99"
>        ViewPort    0 0
>        Virtual     1152 864
>    EndSubsection

All  the 'Modes' lines are identical - <Modes  "1024*768"  "800*600"
*640*480">
Should I, for example, amend one of them to <Modes "800*600" "640*480"> and
then write <Virtual 800 600>?

That's the first question, which concerns how I see the screen - I'd like to
understand how to control these things but if I can't, frankly, I don't
really mind too much.  The second question concerns how java applets are
read:
If an applet wants to present something that should more or less fill the
screen, it can get the screen size from the local system and size the image
accordingly.  In M$ Windows, 640*480  means that a 640*480 image would fill
the screen, but it seems that Linux by default returns the size of the
largest screen available, and if the user is actually in a lower screen
resolution he/she either would not realise that they are missing something
or would have to change their resolution to see everything.
Am I talking a load of codswallop?

David