Re: Some Newbie Questions

Andrew J Fortune wrote:

> I am a Windows 95 user who has recently been introduced to the world of
> Linux (Debian (2.0, I think ??)). I have partitioned off about 1 GB of my
> hard drive to Linux, and the rest is DOS/W95.

	You really need another partition thats 32Mb or 64Mb for a 'swap'
partition. Linux will use that as additional 'memory' in addition
to the physical ram your machine has.  Its functionally equivalent
to the swap file that Win creates except that a separate partition
is safer than a file on your main partition.

> I am trying to work out ... is it possible to share files between the two
> operating systems (i.e. Linux and W95) ?

	No problem.  There is a filesystem for Linux called 'msdos' or
'vfat' (for Win95) that can be installed as part of a customized
kernel or as a kernel module.  These filesystems once mounted
(probably in /etc/fstab) allow read/write access to your Win
partition.

> Here is a practical example of what I mean.....I am trying to sell the
> concept of Linux to a friend of mine who only uses W95 at the moment.
> Suppose I wanted to create a screenshot (.BMP) from a session that I was
> running in WMaker or Afterstep....how would I get it across to W95 so that I
> could EMail the picture to him ??
>
> (Is a BMP in Linux the same format as a BMP file in W95 ?)

	Binary files are copied unaltered.  What you are probably
thinking of is the CR/LF difference between Unix and Dos/Win when
it comes to text files.  Dos uses ascii 13/10 (CR/LF) to end lines
in a text file, while Unix just uses the 10 (LF).

> ...and talking about EMails, can anyone give me any leads on the best way I
> can connect to the Net in Linux, surf the Net, send/receive EMails,
> participate in Chat programs etc. ?

	Sure, but it my take a little learning at first (was for me).
Once I got ppp (use pppconfig deb package) running (connected to
my ISP), I just got Netscape Communicator from
ftp://ftp.netscape.com and installed it.  You can learn how the
other, standard Unix, packages are installed and configured (you
need a mail transfer agent, a mail user agent, and newsgroup
reader)  but these are really only needed if your planning on
setting your machine up as a server.  For end-user only type of
activity (web surfing) just get Netscape.  Note: Netscape is
available in Debian 2.1 as deb files, otherwise make sure you get
the glibc2 version from ftp.netscape.com (under the 'unsupported'
dir tree).

--
Ed C.