Re: java

On Sat, May 29, 1999 at 12:40:17AM +0200, moron wrote:
>  >On Fri, May 28, 1999 at 07:37:40PM +0200, moron wrote:
> >>I presume I would need some Debian program (jdk1.1-dev?) to >>install the
> JDK.  I didn't  find anything linux-specific on the javasoft >>site.  Would
> I have to upgrade (from hamm) to slink for this?  (I >>seem to be years away
> from getting my internet
> >> connection working.)
> >>
> Von: Shao Zhang <shao@linuxfreak.com>
> >If you are running debian hamm, then you will need to get
> >the jdk1.1 and jdk1.1-dev package from the debian ftp site.
>
> May I impose on your helpfulness a little further?  Will the following work?
> Since I'm incapable of getting an internet connection under linux, I intend
> to use win95 to download jdk.1.1 and jdk.1.1-dev (I've tried four times in
> the last few hours, it's either been impossible to get on to the site or
> downloading has ceased after a couple of hundred KB, but I'll keep trying),
> chop them into into floppy-sized chunks and put them on to floppies (I can
> write something in asm to run under dos, no problem, I think).  Can I then,
> under linux, use 'cat' to reassemble the files (which will be dos file

	I am not sure if cat will work. It really depends how you split
	those files.

> systems on the floppies) to somewhere in the linux file system on my linux
> partition?  And then do I use 'apt' to get them installed?  This may be

	apt is for installing and upgrading straight from the internet. If
	you downloaded the packages to local, then you can just

	dpkg -i package-name.deb

> utter nonsense, since it's based on no experience but only what I've tried
> to understand from various documentary sources.  I'd be most grateful for
> advice.

	Where is your windows 95 installed? Is it installed on the same computer
	where debian is?

	If it is, you can just mount the win95 partition, and install it from
	there. eg. mount /dev/hda1 /mnt; dpkg -i /mnt/jdk1.1-xxxx.deb

	If they are installed on the different computer, I would suggest you
	to get internet working. It is not that hard afterall... try use
	pppconfig... once you are on the internet, apt can just do whatever you
	want it to do...