re: java

 >On Fri, May 28, 1999 at 07:37:40PM +0200, moron wrote:
>>I presume I would need some Debian program (jdk1.1-dev?) to >>install the
JDK.  I didn't  find anything linux-specific on the javasoft >>site.  Would
I have to upgrade (from hamm) to slink for this?  (I >>seem to be years away
from getting my internet

Von: Shao Zhang <shao@linuxfreak.com>
>If you are running debian hamm, then you will need to get
>the jdk1.1 and jdk1.1-dev package from the debian ftp site.

May I impose on your helpfulness a little further?  Will the following work?
Since I'm incapable of getting an internet connection under linux, I intend
to use win95 to download jdk.1.1 and jdk.1.1-dev (I've tried four times in
the last few hours, it's either been impossible to get on to the site or
downloading has ceased after a couple of hundred KB, but I'll keep trying),
chop them into into floppy-sized chunks and put them on to floppies (I can
write something in asm to run under dos, no problem, I think).  Can I then,
under linux, use 'cat' to reassemble the files (which will be dos file
systems on the floppies) to somewhere in the linux file system on my linux
partition?  And then do I use 'apt' to get them installed?  This may be
utter nonsense, since it's based on no experience but only what I've tried
to understand from various documentary sources.  I'd be most grateful for
advice.

David