Re: Replacing NT/Netware with Linux (LONG)

"eric a. Farris" wrote:

> well, it's happening. my boss wants me to take the summer to evaluate
> using Linux to run our labs as an alternative to Novell Netware and
> Microsoft Windows NT.
______________STUFF SNIPPED_____________________
I can't offer any help as my network is only 3 machines in my own
office. But I can offer some words of encouragement. As far as linux
stability is concerned, you needen't be. I'm sure that others will bear
me out. I have servers here that have been running continuously for
months and only are down when I am playing with the hardware. I
abandoned NT4 and the horrid blue screen death over a year ago. I only
have windows running on 1 system for banking connections and that will
disappear before the YUCK-2-K thing happens.
Now for the important stuff;

The entire Mexican University/Secondary School/ and Intermediate Schools
labs system is being set up to run on linux. This is an ongoing project
that will involve over 2500 separate computer labs and most of the
University system. That means their whole public school system is going
to linux!
NASA runs several labs and recearch facilities on linux servers.
Point is your in good company.
I would be interested in seeing updates on your project when you have
time.
Good Luck!

--
John Foster