Re: Replacing NT/Netware with Linux (LONG)

> this is a machine that we would need to grow, obviously. what i want to
> do is just bring one or two of the smaller labs up with it for testing.
> With only two drives, i won't be able to RAID5 the thing as i was
> hoping, but i thought i saw someplace where RAID5 isn't Linux's Very
> Good Friend yet anyway.

imho, if you're wanting to do raid you want to do it with a hardware
controller.  software raid works, but it's nasty.

> As far as backing up, is anyone using Amanda? i am interested in this as
> it would give me a chance to back up other machines (ahem, mine) with
> this drive as well. Can Amanda back up Win95/NT/Macs as well? if not, is
> there an Free Software solution that would?

i'm not sure if there is an amanda client for nt/macs (i doubt it though)
but i would just mount the clients on your linux box and back them up that
way.

> My second main concern is with Samba. Can i do authentication with it?

yep, new versions of samba can act as a relatively full featured domain
controller.  it's a little tricky to set up, but seems rock solid once
you've got it working.

> Print queueing through Samba/netatalk has be concerned as well. we would
> not be opposed to scarfing an old 486 and sticking Debian on it to just
> handle the printers.

with the grunt of the machine you listed above you really shouldn't have any
need of a second machine for as few clients as you listed.

> I SOOOOO want this to be sucessful. My boss is observant enough to see
> that NT isn't as reliable as BigBrotherBill wants us to think, and even
> simple changes require a system reboot. Client licences for NT are free
> for us through an agreement selling our soul to Microsoft. Netware,
> while a superior system for our needs than NT, is not free, and very
> costly. Linux seems to have a place here. I have certainly demonstrated
> its usefulness and stability to him. i can't believe he'd give me a
> project like this! i'm so excited!

just make sure you go slow and understand how things work before you move
production systems onto it.

good luck!

adam.

ps. the samba book (by john blair if i remember correctly) is supposed to be
really good.