Re: No screens found

I believe I've seen that error message before.  It had to do with the
Xserver not supporting the graphics card.  Have you checked to see if
there's an Xserver that matches you video card better?  Also, what version
of XFree are you running?  If it's from ftp.debian.org or a major minor,
you're probably running 3.3.2.x and you might need the 3.3.3.1 Xservers.

								Rob

On Thu, 27 May 1999, Jens Vogel wrote:

> Hi all!
>

> Recently I've installed Debian Linux on my system (i.e. UNIX is a new
> world for me) to get rid of the virus called "Windows" :-)
> Everything was fine and easy and I've learned a lot about the prompt. But
> I haven't been able to configure the X-Server yet (sorry if this is
> pretty old for you).
> When starting X with 'startx' I get the following error message:
>
> *** None of the configured devices were detected ***
> Fatal server error:
> no screens found
> _X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 111
> giving up.
> xinit: Connection refused (errno 111): unable to connect to the X server
> xinit: No such process (errno 3): Server error
>
> The same error occurs when using 'X' or 'xinit' instead but not as
> detailed as with 'startx'. I've tried both 'XF86Setup' and 'xf86config'
> to configure the server and everything works fine. 'XF86Setup' is able to
> start the X server for a test run where resolution and refresh rate are
> as I've defined them. My graphics card is 'Matrox Mystique I' so I use
> the SVGA server (installed correctly). My monitor has the following
> specifications:
>
> 17"
> 30 - 86 kHz horizontal sync.
> 50 - 150 Hz vertical sync.
> 170 MHz band width
> max. 1600 x 1200 pixels
>
> I've also checked the file 'XF86Config' and it's OK. Font path is defined
> and found, keyboard and mouse don't make any problems. In addition I
> haven't found any documentation about the error codes ('111' and '3').
> All my friends who know Linux (more or less) have never heared about this
> error messange so I hope someone can help me.
>

> Greets,
> Jens -- Unsubscribe? mail -s unsubscribe
> debian-user-request@lists.debian.org

ratirh@lore.cs.purdue.edu : Role-Player, Babylon 5 fanatic      1998-99
Aka Khyron the Backstabber : ICQ# 2325055
Homepage: www.cs.purdue.edu/homes/ratirh

"Happiness comes in short spurts.  Don't be fooled."