Re: No screens found

Jens Vogel wrote:

> Hi all!
>

> Recently I've installed Debian Linux on my system (i.e. UNIX is a new
> world for me) to get rid of the virus called "Windows" :-)
> Everything was fine and easy and I've learned a lot about the prompt.
> But I haven't been able to configure the X-Server yet (sorry if this
> is pretty old for you).
> When starting X with 'startx' I get the following error message:
>
> *** None of the configured devices were detected ***
> Fatal server error:
> no screens found
> _X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 111
> giving up.
> xinit: Connection refused (errno 111): unable to connect to the X
> server
> xinit: No such process (errno 3): Server error

*SNIP*

Judging from your message, you certianly seem to have read all the
documentation and
such...  but I thought I'd set this out there:

Have you tried running 'XF86Setup' or 'xf86config'?  These two programs
are used to
reconfigure your XF86Config file for whatever setup you use.  everything
from
the _X11TransSocetUnixConnect......   on I have seen before when my
Xserver died
due to not being able to find the 'fixed' font or something.  so I
wonder if your
XF86Config file has been set for your video card/monitor/etc?
Unfortunately, this
doesn't even have the semi-works plug&play of windows graphics...
You'll need to
choose the correct server for your card, set Xfree86 up to use that
server, configure
for your monitor, etc... all of which XF86Setup and xf86config do.  If
you knew this,
then my apologies.  If you didn't, try XF86Setup first, as it is
GUI-based and a little
easier for first-timers.  xf86config can be confusing till you've used
it several times.

--Evan

--
Evan Van Dyke                               E-mail: evandy@netcom.com
Page: 15442232@pager.mirabilis.com          ICQ#: 15442232

w-- O- M-- !V PS+ PE+ Y+ PGP t+ 5+++ X+ R+ tv+ b+++ DI++++ D+ g e h !r
y-

   "Quoth the Raven...  'Nevermore!'" --Edgar Allen Poe
   "I'll bet that all you can do is watch the ball bounce around the
screen.
                                      --Dilbert to Management