Boot probblem with xdm

My install was going just fine until until I installed X on and ran the
XF86 setup. Was curious about it. I can hand edit the xf86.cfg  if needed
or run the xf86config. During the setup, my bus mouse wasnt recognized so I
quit the set up and on the next boot I guess xdm was written and now I cant
log in through the x screen.

Is there a way to stop the boot process before xdm starts?
If not I guess I will have to reinstall.

Im on the digest and not on USER so make sure Im cc:'d.
Thanks in advance.
Robert Black