Re: Installing from source

On Tue, 25 May 1999, Otgonbayar Uuye wrote:

> Brad> Actually, that is exactly Debian policy: programs you install yourself go
> Brad> under /usr/local, the distro never touches it.
> Brad>
> Brad> If you make a deb from the sources, then you should of course make it not
> Brad> touch /usr/local.
> Brad>
>
> Ok, say I install qt in /usr/local/qt, then when I upgrade to potato I will
> have multiple copies of qt.

Basically, yes. You could compile against either qt installation, you
could even have two versions available on your system. Some configure
scripts might get confused and use the one you didn't want them to though.

Right now, i have two copies of Wine (the debian version and the cvs
version in /usr/local), two copies of x11amp (i wanted the esound support
a month or two ago, and then the -2 deb was buggy. Haven't tried -3 yet),
two copies of Licq (i have the 0.70c beta in /usr/local), and two copies
of isapnptools (waiting for the maintainer to package 1.18).