Re: Installing from source

On 火, 5 25 1999, Brad wrote:
Brad> On Mon, 24 May 1999, Otgonbayar Uuye wrote:
Brad>
Brad> > 1. How am I supposed to install programs from tarball source code? I can untar and compile them,
Brad> > but then the debian package system doesn't recognize it.
Brad> >
Brad> > For instance I have downloaded qt-1.44.tar.gz, compiled and installed it. Then qt installs itself in
Brad> > /usr/local which violates the debian policy as I understand. KDE does the same thing. As my
Brad> > system doesn't recognize them, it wouldn't configure it properly. Also how do I uninstall them  then?
Brad>
Brad> Actually, that is exactly Debian policy: programs you install yourself go
Brad> under /usr/local, the distro never touches it.
Brad>
Brad> If you make a deb from the sources, then you should of course make it not
Brad> touch /usr/local.
Brad>

Ok, say I install qt in /usr/local/qt, then when I upgrade to potato I will have multiple copies of qt.

---Otgonbayar