Re: laptop netconfig

On Mon, May 24, 1999 at 07:25:23PM -0500, Justin Hagemeier wrote:
> > Well I sort of do this already I have a laptop that has the Potato distro on it, I use both ethernet and ppp,
> > I am using the DHCP client in potato and it works great; if there is no ethernet connection, then no IP is assigned
> > to the eth0 interface, essentially no route. I just use PPP normal.
> > --
> > *--* Mail: lawrence@otak-k.com
> > *--* Voice: 425.739.4247
> > *--* Fax: 425.827.9577
> > *--* HTTP://www.otak-k.com/~lawrence/
>
> How do you get over the problem with dhcp(potato) hanging when there is no net connection?
I don't it does not hang on my system, it does try to configure it's self, but does not hang.

>dhcpcd just sits there if it cannot find one. (or at least I have never been patient enough to wait it out, I give it about 30 s> and give up) just installing both would be great for now if that worked.

At least on my system it does work, kinda cludgy but it works. You can always take the card out.

> Although, I would like a scheme where it starts the right daemon because it could potentially less time and memory than starting both.  Jens you are right about error trapping kernel message would be brain dead.  However ifconfig STDOUT does give you how many packets are received, if you sent 1 and did not receive any in reply the
> you have a smarter way of knowing whether or not you have a live line.  You could use regex to parse that ifconfig STDOUT in the script.  I am reaching here.:-)

I think, that the DHCP, should time out, after a arbitrary amount of configuration requests, like 100 or so.
A more elegant solution must be out there; I know that 95/98/NT have this problem also, so it's not easy.