Re: Installing from source

On Mon, May 24, 1999 at 10:44:49AM -0500, Brad wrote:
> On Mon, 24 May 1999, Otgonbayar Uuye wrote:
>
> > 1. How am I supposed to install programs from tarball source code? I can untar and compile them,
> > but then the debian package system doesn't recognize it.
> >
> > For instance I have downloaded qt-1.44.tar.gz, compiled and installed it. Then qt installs itself in
> > /usr/local which violates the debian policy as I understand. KDE does the same thing. As my
> > system doesn't recognize them, it wouldn't configure it properly. Also how do I uninstall them  then?

If you use source from the debian packages, just cd into the source directory
and run

	debian/rules binary

that should compile and build a *.deb, that may be installed with dpkg.

Other source-codes can be "debianized" using deb-make, maybe you have to
fine-tune it a bit.

Ingo Hohmann <ingo.hohmann@gmx.de>