Re: mounting nfs when server down

Pere Camps <pere@casal.upc.es> writes:
> 	b. Imagine bot the client and the server fall (power out, for
> example). The client boots up faster than the server and when it tries to
> mount the partition it can't. Idea for this: make a C program that looks
> for well mounted directories and if they aren't good it mounts them. C
> because the program will run 'suid' from /etc/profile (and mount is not
> suid). Of course the C program will not accept any parameters nor
> configuration (I don't know much of C program security, so better make it
> simple).
>
> 	What I'm looking for exactly is if it exists a standard solution
> for problem b.

Using an automounter will solve this problem.  With an automounter the
directories aren't mounted until they are actually accessed, so it is
no longer a problem if the server boots more slowly than the
client(s).

You'll need to enable kernel support for the autofs file system and
install the Debian autofs package.

HTH.
--
       /'"`\  zzzZ  | My PGP Public Key is available at:
      ( - - )       | <http://home1.inet.tele.dk/renehl/>