passing ENV var's w/kfm (KDE) launched shell scripts

I thought for a while that I could not launch shell scripts from kfm in
my [slink] debian dist. (my slackware dist. works no problem) but it was

the environment variables that I was referencing inside the scripts...
e.g. below I simply create a kdelnk file using the below script file,
and point and click should just work:

#!/bin/sh
#
if [ -f $HOME/.Xstuff ]; then
  xrdb -merge $HOME/.Xstuff
fi

if [ -f $XAPPDIR/xappbinary ]; then
  cd $XAPPDIR ; exec $XAPPDIR/xappbinary
fi

If I simply replace the above PATH env variables with the real
pathnames, the scripts launch fine. So curiousity has  the better of
me...  Now why would kfm be able to interpret the SHELL enviroment
variables in Slackware and not  in Debian. Not that it matters likely,
but I run in tcsh.

TIA,
Ralph

remove 'no-soc' for personal replies should someone be kind enough to
save me face.