Installing from source

Hello,

I have a couple of questions.

1. How am I supposed to install programs from tarball source code? I can untar and compile them,
but then the debian package system doesn't recognize it.

For instance I have downloaded qt-1.44.tar.gz, compiled and installed it. Then qt installs itself in
/usr/local which violates the debian policy as I understand. KDE does the same thing. As my
system doesn't recognize them, it wouldn't configure it properly. Also how do I uninstall them  then?

2. I have Creative AudioPCI 64, and got it working with es1370 module. Now I can play xgalaga
with sound, watch movies with MpegTV, but none of the cdplayers  play CD. No sound at all.
Gom says CD channel is 64, so it's not closed. What could be wrong?

Thanks a lot.
---Otgonbayar