Re: netscape menubar black&white

On Mon, May 24, 1999 at 07:37 -0500, Judith Elaine Bush wrote:

> *- On 23 May, Fethi A. Okyar wrote about "netscape menubar
> black&white"
> Brian Servis <servis@purdue.edu> replied:
>
> > Don't run your X server in 24bpp mode.  Netscape has a known problem
> > with 24bpp, use 16bpp or 32bpp.
>
> Other than the icons being in b&w (and i like the reduced visual
> clutter) is there any other reason you shouldn't run Netscape under
> 24bpp?

I might be incorrect about this, but I recall reading somewhere that
running the xserver at 32 bpp is faster than running it at 24 bpp, as it
can then take advanatage of the fact that image data is nicely aligned
along word boundaries (I presume the data is padded with an extra 8 bits in
24 bpp mode, which would slow things down). Not so much a reason for not
running Netscape at 24 bpp, but rather a general reason for running X at
either 16 or 32 bpp...

Cheers
    Dave

--
         Dave Swegen           | Debian 2.1 on Linux i386 2.2.3
<dave@recursive.prestel.co.uk> | PGP key available on request