Re: EMERGENCY 'umount /'

On Mon, 24 May 1999, per_adua32 wrote:
[snip]

> After booting with linux-init=/bin/sh I was dropped
> into bash. I then tried to unmount the root filesystem
> so that I could mount it again as read/write. However,
> when I entered the command

> umount /

> I got some message like can't open mtab: file doesn't
> exist or something like this.

> Can someone please. I would to solve this without having
> to re-install the whole system.

In /etc/init.d, I find the lines:

  # Ensure that root is quiescent and read-only before fsck'ing.
  #
  mount -n -o remount,ro /

This command should remount an rw root file system read only.

--David
David Teague, dbt@cs.wcu.edu
Debian GNU/Linux Because software support is free, timely,
                 useful, technically accurate, and friendly.
		 (Hope this qualifies.)