EMERGENCY 'umount /'

Hello!!!

I have a problem. Whilst trying to change the
keyboard mapping my system got very messed up.

I ran kbdconfig, choose sunt5-fi-something and
that was that. First there was total confusion on
my keyboard, the spacebar ,for instance, printed
r when I pressed it and R when I pressed pause
and spacebar at the same time. Then the system
froze and I was forced to switch the computer
off and then on again.

My most immediate problem is getting into my
system at all, so that I can find some way of
fixing this problem. When I tried to boot normally
I couldn't login because the keyboard was stil messed
up.

So I decided to try the rescue disk.

After booting with linux-init=/bin/sh I was dropped
into bash. I then tried to unmount the root filesystem
so that I could mount it again as read/write. However,
when I entered the command

umount /

I got some message like can't open mtab: file doesn't
exist or something like this.

Can someone please. I would to solve this without having
to re-install the whole system.

Thanx in advance.

T:Irvine