Re: tulip 100mps card; need advice

George, thanks for advices,
The need for such setup was due to the estimated bandwith of overall
network transaction of about 0.5Gps. Thus, using CISCO or any other
non-PC based solution we need to establish high speed interface between
this switcher and some proxy server. The idea is that attaching network
interface directly to PC would allow us to solve this task. Is it
sounds stupid?

On Sun, 23 May 1999, George Bonser wrote:

> On Mon, 24 May 1999, Eugene Sevinian wrote:
>
> > are working reliable at heaivy load. The main goal is to setup a network
> > with star topology, i.e. one central box with 6-7 100mps channels attached
> > to it as well 4-5 10mps ones. Any suggesions concerning hardware
> > components for this central box? How much ROM, which CPU and motherboard I
> > should look for?
> >
> I have had good luck with the Intel Pro 10/100+ cards. The trouble with
> going into 10MB mode might not be the network card, many hubs do not
> auto-negotiate properly. Just force it in the driver at boot.
Do you mean linux network driver or card's SETUP utility?
I  have noticed that hub was able to detect 100mps up to linux loading
stage :(

> Well, looks like money is no object here.
  Hhmmm  :) not quite right, unfortunatly ...

> Get three of the quad adaptec
> tulip cards, thats $500-$600 each and gives you 12 ethernet ports on three

Are they supported in linux kernel?

> PCI slots. Make sure those boards will fit ... they are LONG. If you
> really want to get fancy, you can get a dual-PCI bus machine and put your
> network on one PCI bus and your disk on the other. Your bottleneck is
> going to be the PCI bus, you are probably better off getting something
> like  a Cisco 2900 or 3000 series switch rather than trying to do this
> with a PC.

Then we should connect this switch to the server at ~500mps. Is there any
standard solution? May be fiber optic?

> CPU should be SMP Alpha processors. SCSI disk. You are probably in the
> $10-$15K range for a good system if I am reading this correctly.

Eugene Sevinian

CRD, YerPhI, 375036, Armenia
Phone: 374-2-344873