Re: tulip 100mps card; need advice

On Mon, 24 May 1999, Eugene Sevinian wrote:

> Hi ppl, today I had a problems with DEC21143 tulip cards. The problem was
> that card goes into 10mps mode just after linux loading. It seems that
> there are problems with tulip drivers. Tommorow I will try to recompile
> the kernel defining default media type 100baseTx. Probably this will help
> somehow. HOwever I would like to know is there any any 100mps cards which
> are working reliable at heaivy load. The main goal is to setup a network
> with star topology, i.e. one central box with 6-7 100mps channels attached
> to it as well 4-5 10mps ones. Any suggesions concerning hardware
> components for this central box? How much ROM, which CPU and motherboard I
> should look for?

I have had good luck with the Intel Pro 10/100+ cards. The trouble with
going into 10MB mode might not be the network card, many hubs do not
auto-negotiate properly. Just force it in the driver at boot.

Well, looks like money is no object here. Get three of the quad adaptec
tulip cards, thats $500-$600 each and gives you 12 ethernet ports on three
PCI slots. Make sure those boards will fit ... they are LONG. If you
really want to get fancy, you can get a dual-PCI bus machine and put your
network on one PCI bus and your disk on the other. Your bottleneck is
going to be the PCI bus, you are probably better off getting something
like  a Cisco 2900 or 3000 series switch rather than trying to do this
with a PC.

CPU should be SMP Alpha processors. SCSI disk. You are probably in the
$10-$15K range for a good system if I am reading this correctly.